Weekly Reflection 1


So far, I really enjoy this class and the way that is structured. The choice to center the content around the original Frankenstein novel by Mary Shelley is also a very interesting choice. This novel reflects one of the most original appearances of horror as we know it in contemporary culture, and it was written in a time in which women did not have the same privileges as men. I found the lecture video that we were required to watch on Wednesday to be the most captivating content that we have been exposed to so far. Connecting a piece of art to the time in which it was written is of great importance, as it provides a closer look at the culture surrounding the era as well as the inspiration for creating it. The readings were a bit tougher than what I am used to, and although lengthy and filled with language I am unfamiliar with, it is fascinating to see the way in which people dealt with certain situations back in the day. I also really connected with Wollstonecraft’s letter that she wrote to Burke, and how she attacked the aristocracy that was in place during the time.

Comments