Week 2 Reflection

This week of the class was even better than the last. At first, I thought that having lecture every day was going to be a tiresome task, but I was proven wrong. This is my first time reading through Frankenstein, and I have to say I really enjoyed it. I ended up reading the entire book in a single setting. I think that the discussions that we are having over the Zoom meetings are also engaging and add on to my understanding of the novel.

Aside from reading the book, I found "Making Monsters: Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" to be a very interesting piece of writing. Although the language was a bit challenging to understand, I enjoyed getting a deeper look at Gothic tradition and modern mythology, as well as the rethinking of the Gothic genre. One part of the reading that stood out to me was when the author made the argument that Shelley capitalized on the idea that it is people, more than monsters or ghosts, that terrify other people.

Comments